Municipalities in Stanly County
The county seat is a bustling city of thriving businesses, distinctive homes and friendly neighborhoods. Its growing industrial and commercial sectors make Albemarle an attractive place to live and work. Situated in the beautiful Uwharrie Lakes Region in the Piedmont of North Carolina, Albemarle is conveniently located near two of the state's urban areas - Charlotte and Raleigh. The renowned North Carolina mountains are just 125 miles to the west, while the coastal waters of the Atlantic are only 160 miles east. Morrow Mountain State Park is a popular destination for visitors far and wide.
The park covers 4,742 acres in the rugged, historic Uwharrie Mountains. Bordered by Lake Tillery, the area offers outdoor enthusiasts cabin lodging, camping, fishing, swimming, boating, canoeing and nature trails. The Albemarle Parks and Recreation Department operates several parks and a community center that oversees a variety of recreation programs including swimming, tennis, softball, soccer, basketball and baseball.
Albemarle is also home of the modern Stanly County Family YMCA. A wide variety of businesses and industries makes Albemarle an economic center. Although textiles still form the core economic base for the community, businesses continue to become more diversified. The city is served by six well - known financial institutions and acts as a retail hub for the region. Visit the City of Albemarle website for mor information. Also visit www.albemarledowntown.com for more information about Albemarle’s downtown district.
In 1990, the citizens of this town voted to incorporate. On the shores of Badin Lake, the town was planned at the time the aluminum plant was being built in the early 1900's. At one time, the entire development was owned by the Aluminum Co. of America. The homes are now privately owned and the streets are maintained by the State Highway Department and the Town of Badin. Badin and its environs are considered unique, both historically and industrially. In 1984, Badin was certified as a Historic Place. The original Stanly County Country Club clubhouse dates back to when the French Aluminum Reduction Company bought up the Whitney holdings before World War 1. Members of the town governing board elected to two-year, staggered terms.
Badin is also the home town of Star Jones. Jones is co-host of The View, a daytime show currently featuring Meredith Vieira, Joy Behar, Lisa Ling, and Executive Producer Barbara Walters. Visit our website at www.badin.org
City of Locust
The City of Locust was established in western Stanly county in the late 1860s by German, Scotch Irish and English immigrants. The community was known as the "Crossroads". Many travelers came through on the way to Cabarrus, Anson, and Mecklenburg counties.
A central well was dug close to the locust tree to serve the citizens of the community as well as travelers and their livestock as they were traveling through. As many as 25 families would do their washing there in a single day, since it was the only source of water.
In 1869 population in the "Crossroads" community had increased enough to warrant an application for the establishment of a post office. There was a meeting held to decide on a new name and a young girl in the community, Miss Maggie Howell, was present at a meeting to decide a proper name. Maggie happened to look out at a wooded plot where a large locust tree was in full bloom. Beyond the locust tree, plowed fields laid flat and the reddish clay dirt of the Charlotte Road stretched out level. Miss Howell suggested the name "Locust Level". And so it was called until May 29, 1894. The Level was dropped and it was simply called Locust.
Locust still serves as the crossroads to Charlotte, Albemarle, Concord and Monroe. It is a thriving community and represents opportunity for growth and expansion of businesses. Learn more here.
Village of Misenheimer
Village of Misenheimer Originally called "Gladstone," this unincorporated community is near the northwest comer of the county. The local railway station was used by people stopping at nearby Misenheimer Springs for spring water that widely attracted vacationers and health seekers. Today it is the home of the progressive Methodist-affiliated Pfeiffer University, a four-year liberal arts school with over 1,000 students. Police protection is by a deputy provided by the Sheriff's Department, stationed in the area. Pfeiffer University has a campus police force. Water is purchased from the City of Albemarle through the PfeifferNorth Stanly Water Association. Learn more . . .
New London is a quiet residential area in the northern section of the county is located on U.S. Highway 52. At one time, after the railroad was built and a gold mine started in the area, the town was larger than Albemarle. It is believed to have been named by a mining engineer who came from London, England. Early industries included a twine and a roller mill. Culp Lumber Co. started early in the century, operated by the Culp family. Incorporated in 1891, New London is governed by an elected Town Council-Mayor form of government. Electricity is supplied by Duke Power, and water is available from the Albemarle plant through the Pfeiffer-North Stanly Water Association.
Norwood is located in southern Stanly County on the shoreline of beautiful Lake Tillery. Indeed, Norwood prides itself on being the "gateway" to Lake Tillery. Unlike most small towns, Norwood is a self-sufficient town of about 2,500 people that has its own water, sewer, police, recreation, and volunteer fire departments. The greater Norwood area contains about 10,000 people. Norwood is described as an "industry friendly" community that contains a variety of manufacturing firms, including Norwood Yam Sales, Michelin Aircraft Tire Corp., Aeroquip, Arrowood, Stanly Fixtures, Roman Knit, and American Lockstitch.
Norwood's main attraction is Lake Tillery. Outdoor recreation is abundant, centered around the beautiful lake with boating, fishing, and other water sports readily available. The lake is surrounded by homes. The newly re-designed Piney Point Golf Club, located near Lake Tillery, is a championship course with a clubhouse and swimming pool. Professional sports and two international airports are about 90 miles away in Charlotte and Greensboro. The downtown shopping area is lighted by attractive turn-of-the-century light posts with well-maintained buildings that house small, privately-owned businesses.
The Town is governed by a Town Council Mayor form of government elected for two years in a non-partisan election. The town is historically significant as well, having developed around the rivers in the years following the Revolutionary War. The "Battle of Colson's Ordinary" took place near there in the middle of the war. Some years later, in the late 1780's, three Allen brothers had dreams of making a river port on the peninsula between the Pee Dee River and the Rocky River. It was called Allentown. The arrival of the railroad in 1891 caused the community to flourish and the name was changed to Norwood when the post office was moved to Norwood Brother's Store. To learn more visit our Website.
Oakboro is a small town in western Stanly County with a population of approximately 1,200. Nearby communities, usually centered around country churches, bring another 1,000 or more into the greater Oakboro area. The character of the town is defined by its downtown businesses and institutions and its neighborhoods.
The town is governed by a Mayor and Board of Commissioners. In 2002, these officials and other residents of the town and nearby communities participated in a study which helped define the direction Oakboro should take to meet future needs. Among the outcomes of the study was the desire of the citizens to see Oakboro maintain its small town character well into the future. Officials of the town were quick to address the concerns revealed by the study. One action was to develop a system for parks and recreation. Already in progress is a large district park located along a greenway with an amphitheater, a community center, and several ball fields, lighted for evening events. Other smaller community parks are scattered among communities and are maintained by the town. An addition to the park system will be the new Oakboro Railroad Museum. Located near the site of the original depot, this building will be a replica of the first depot and will house memorabilia from the early days of the rail line.
Another major effort involves establishing a Local Historic District for the downtown area. Many of the buildings in the commercial district date to the early 1920’s and are excellent examples of the type of architecture commonly used in that period.
Another historic building is the Oakboro Presbyterian Church, now owned by the Oakboro Regional Historic Foundation. Restoration of the church is in progress.
Economic development is an important aspect of the survival of any town. Oakboro leaders have had the foresight to organize the Greater Oakboro Business Association, where business owners and operators, individuals, and other institutional personnel can meet together to address needs and develop opportunities to attract visitors and potential residents to the area.
Town officials are also active in encouraging new and expanding industries and small businesses which diversify the local economy. The Oakboro Branch Library, part of the Stanly County Public Library System, boasts a large circulation for a branch its size. The library offers computers, books-on-disk, and other amenities for patrons as well as hosts a home-school book and craft club. Special events such as author readings are scheduled throughout the year.
The Oakboro Regional Historic Foundation maintains a museum in the downtown area. Housed in an historic building, the museum features a permanent display of ancient Native American artifacts unearthed at nearby Ledbetter Ford on Rocky River. Documented at 10,000 years old, this collection is supplemented with other artifacts donated by local collectors. The museum offers a view into the past, including the rural life, people and institutions of bygone days, and rotating exhibits containing collections and artifacts donated or loaned by residents. To learn more visit our website.
The people of the Town of Red Cross welcomes you to our Town. Our commuity assumed its identity in the late 1700’s and has, over the years, evolved into a recognized and integral part of Stanly County. We are very young as a Town and our people are working very hard to make our Town and community the best possible place to live.
Facing growth pressure from Charlotte the people of the community of Red Cross incorporated on August 1, 2002. We did this for the purpose of establishing a legal identity and obtaining the required mechanisims necessary to retain the values we cherish. We like to think of ourselves as a quiet, rural community with traditional and strongly family oriented values.
Learn More . . .
Richfield Located at the junction of N.C. 49 and U.S. 52, the town was named for the German family, Richie. It was incorporated in 1908 and then lost this status during the depression of the 1930's. In 1947, Richfield regained the township status. The town is governed by a Town Council-Mayor form of government elected every two years in a non-partisan election. Central water is available from the Albemarle plant through the Pfeiffer-North Stanly Water Association. Police protection is provided by the County Sheriff s Department.
Stanfield, The town was developed when the Norfolk Southern Railway extended its lines in 1912, thereby suppressing the growth of the older town of Locust. However, Highway N.C. 27 and Highway N.C. 200 brought modem transportation to Locust and the communities now are separate towns with adjoining borders. Stanfield was incorporated in 1955 and is governed by a Town Council-Mayor form of government elected for two year terms in a non-partisan election. Electricity is provided by both Duke Power and REA and telephone service is by Southern Bell Telephone Co. To learn more visit our website.